Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Completely Unsolicited Advice

Here's a little piece of advice for soon-to-be or later-to-be new mothers. If you like peace and joy in your home, let the little one run the show.
The weather the last two days has been heavenly, so I decided that I needed to join other mothers and take my little boy to the park on the first decent day of spring. It's what you would expect of a good mother, right? You might be thinking 'but Amanda, Nathan stayed in his stroller the entire time you were at the park.' Yes, I know, but I'm sure he got the idea of nice day=park day.
So anyway, two days in a row of running errands, going to lunch with friends and afternoons at the park left very little nap time in the crib for our favorite little fella. Now, he usually is pretty good about just sleeping in his car seat and fully taking advantage of the lulling of the car ride. This was not the case yesterday and today. Then, he gets SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired and it is almost impossible for him to fall asleep and he gets that miserable 'I can't stand life anymore' scream.
It is now 9:20PM and the longest that he has slept today was 40minutes in a stretch. For those of you not familiar with baby napping, that ain't nothin'. So, I just gave him a bath and fed him a bottle and rocked him a bit. He is now in his crib quietly trying to fall asleep.
I feel like a horrible mom because my need to go out and be social and enjoy the perfect day is making my little boy sad. I am glad that tomorrow is promising to be quite a bit chillier. No temptation to run around galavanting. On the off chance that you see me out tomorrow, remind me that my baby needs to sleep. I will not yell at you for bossing me around.
As a P.S. Happy St. Patty's Day. 25 bonus points to anyone who had corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight. Here are a few pictures of your favorite little Leprachaun.



P.S. He's not at all Irish, but we couldn't find a shirt that said "I'm not Irish, but kiss me anyway." The shirt was from his Grandma Sue who is Irish, so we are trying to represent.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Your little leprechaun is too cute. I don't have any advice about the nap thing though because I was right there with you! Sometimes moms need some fun too! :)

Ashley said...

Adorable! Love the shirt! Some kids can adjust to cat naps and others need their rest. Doesn't make it any easier for you, tho! He will be cutting down on his naps soon as he gets older.

Gina said...

I can hear Wendy in my head saying, "Keep that kid on a schedule." But, living in the semi-frozen tundra, I would say, "Get out and enjoy Spring." :)

Heather said...

He is so cute! Give him a squeeze and a kiss from me. You definitely need to get out and enjoy yourself sometimes.