Friday, September 25, 2009

Help the little babies!!

Most of you know this, but my best friend, Bronwyn, lives in Tunisia. She is having a good time there, but she has a heartbreaking little story. I am completely stealing her post and using it as mine for today. Yep, I just copied and pasted! I'm posting it here, in case anyone wants to help out. Makes me cry to think of little babies suffering as I watch my own, grow up so easily and with so much love and health.

Here's what she posted yesterday:

I've been to the hospital again today to visit the orphan babies, and it occurred to me that many of you would love to do this, and many of you really can help if you want to! There were nine babies today, one of them only three pounds, most of them just skin and bones. One of the little boys had a sad little hair lip, that may or may not get operated on. Several of them were coughy and congested and had trouble eating comfortably. These are not things that any of us can do anything about, but there is something! One of the little boys had the worst diaper rash I've ever seen. The rash extended almost to his belly button, and there were oozing sores on his poor little bum. His crying calmed a little bit when I put cream on the sore areas, which cream we had to supply ourselves. So the first thing people could send if you want to be involved, is diaper cream. After that he seemed content just to be held. It's pretty sweet to have a crying baby calm right down when picked up and snugged a little bit. They so need to be touched and held!

Another thing these babies need is clothes. Some of them had decent little outfits, but many of them were wrapped in nothing more than hospital-cloth-turned-shirt. We bring newborn outfits to dress those that don't have outfits, but we didn't have enough today and I thought how sweet it would be to be able to dress each baby in something cute and whole. Any of you mothers with newborn onesies and clothes that you are done with who would like to send them to me for these sweet babies, I promise they will be put to good use. I have a few that I will take as well, but not enough. Please only send newborn or premie sizes since nearly all of the babies are premature, and they never stay in the hospital longer than a month or so.

I'm so excited about the chance to do something small for these babies who will undoubtedly have hard lives.
Thanks in advance for your help! I always hug my baby a little tighter after visiting the hospital. The life of any child is such a precious thing. If you pray, remember to pray for these babies tonight!

If you are interested, let me know and I will give you her address. It is a US address, even though she lives in Tunisia.

4 comments:

Bronwyn James said...

Thanks Amanda. Sure love you!

nannynestor said...

Yes, may I have her address? Nan

Unknown said...

i want her address too! they need desitin or whatever diaper cream, and little onesies? i bet i could get a whole bunch of ladies to donate from my ward!

Lori Davis said...

I think it would be great to get some stuff together. I know we kindof talked about it. Are you sending something out? I could send some stuff with you or I could just send stuff... let me know what you decide for us WI ladies.