Sunday, September 13, 2009

Why I love Skype

I am a Skyper. I love it. I mostly just skype with my CA friend Nan and Bronwyn in Tunisia.
Sidenote: I like saying "Bronwyn in Tunisia". It makes me feel very fancy. First of all, to have a real-life friend that lives in Africa is pretty cool, and second of all I feel great that I know where Tunisia is. Most people don't, with of course the exception of Rachel. Hi Bronwyn. Hi Rachel. End of sidenote.
Extra sidenote: I don't actually like it that Brownyn is in Tunisia. I wish she was in Wisconsin, but since that is never going to happen, I love Skype.

Back to the original story.
So, last night, Nan and I were Skyping. When we were together we were possibly the two most ridiculous people on the planet. It's more challenging to get that way over the telephone, but much easier with video chatting.
It was getting late and we had been talking for quite awhile. We had relived some of our funnier teaching moments, talked about Diet sodas and were trying not to end the call. You know how it is. You really don't have anything else to say, but you're sure if you just hang on another few seconds, something great is about to happen? Well, luckily we had faith in that moment and waited just a little bit longer before hanging up.
In our attempt to create more conversation, Nan pulls out this pocket reading light. You push a button and the whole thing unfolds all by itself. It's cool and a little freaky at the same time. Mr. Roboto.
Anyway, this then becomes the game of 'Who has the weirder thing on their computer desk?'
Nan: Previously mentioned reading light
Me: Tire pressure gauge
Nan: Kitchen towel
Me: Teeny tiny screwdriver
Nan: Needle nosed pliers
Me: Desitin
Nan: Holder for drapery rod
Me: Tape Measure
Nan: Oven mitt
We went on like this for quite some time and it seemed to get more and more entertaining. Until THE moment. I looked around and THEN.....wait for it

Me: Firecrackers!!!

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, I had a block of fireworks sitting by my computer. Now, I'm not sure how they came to be by my computer or how I might put them to good use without leaving the room, but oh so grateful that they were there.
It's been so long since Nan and I laughed like that.
This moment, brought to you by Skype.
If you don't have Skype, you should and then you should leave a comment and you too can play such fun games with your WI friend.

2 comments:

nannynestor said...

Excellent descriptive account of the uproarious event. Even if you didn't include the part where you were spinning in the chair. Whoops, did I say that?

Lori Davis said...

I would love to be a fly on the wall!! Love great friends...