Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pretending

I am currently pretending that Nathan is in his crib sleeping. I don't know that this is reality and would be safe to bet that he is not, but since I need a sanity break, I am imagining a quiet and happy baby. It isn't that he is unhappy a lot, but he is a noisy little baby. We call it growling and he is pretty constant at it. Sometimes it's just noise and sometimes it sounds unhappy. I get sucked in to thinking there is a solution, so I spend the two-three hours between feedings, trying to settle him and help him sleep, only to realize that time's up and he needs to be fed again.
Today I am feeling a little on the overwhelmed side. It is 4pm and I have not started my day. I don't know exactly what starting a day looks like anymore because the only real event that stops time is feeding Nathan. Night and day, that's pretty much what I do. Some days I find a way to squeeze something else in, but not usually. I wait until John comes home and then I hand him the baby and the bottle and speed around the house trying to put in a load of laundry, wash the bottles and maybe get dinner cooked. Then we start the bottle, diaper, burping cycle all over again. I'm not trying to complain, but this is my reality and I want fun/clever updates to post, but I've got nothing. I'm exhausted and it's really hard to be clever on no sleep.
There are a few cute updates:
Nathan rolled over for the first time the other day. I know, I know, it's not possible. 5 week old babies don't roll over. But he did. I need to get some invitations out for our YW New Beginning night next week, so I put him down on a blanket on the floor. He was on his belly. When I turned back around after get a zip code off the computer, he was on his back and off the blanket. I just stared at him for a minute in disbelief. So, there's that.
AND, he is smiling for real now. If he is happy and fed, and you start talking to him and smiling, he'll smile back. Yep, it melts my heart. One of these days I'll get a little video of it. He is so alert and curious.
Um, let's see. Oh and I've taken another 1,000 pictures. Most of them end up blurry and less than fabulous, but here's my new favorite.

10 comments:

Liz the Poet said...

Why are you so far away!!!!!!

I need some Nathan time...

Andrea said...

All I can say is CUTE! CUTE! CUTE!

rachelsaysso said...

Wow! Cute.

I've always kind of felt that "starting the day" was overrated.

Tammy said...

He is so super cute! miss you !

Taryn said...

Don't worry, you are not alone. It is totally normal to feel like you are getting nothing done and that your daily "routine" or lack thereof is all out of wack. It will get better, I promise.

I totally remember wanting to do something other than feed or hold a baby. It all changes in an instant and the truth of it is that this time period will go by like a blink of an eye.

Every week will get better and better.

He is really cute!

Emmy said...

Man, that is a cute baby!

Rebecca said...

Brock growled at that age, too. But it was gas. We survived every two hours with the walmart brand of gas drops. He's so sweet. We're so happy for you guys.

Heather said...

So cute!
In class yesterday my teacher pretty much convinced me that I don't want kids. But for you the worst is over, and after that-->I'm sure you can do anything! You deserve some rest time when no one expects your house to be clean, etc., so don't stress over it. Just enjoy that beautiful baby boy because the rest of us wish we were with you.

Heather said...

PS--Pass on a kiss for me!

Amanda said...

Don't listen to your teacher. Have kids even when you don't get sleep.
Nathan was up until 4am this morning and I had to get up at 7:30 and I still wouldn't trade him for anything.