Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Isn't it about...time?


Okay, even though that is the line from some church commercials, I am feeling in my bones that it is nearing the time of a semi-sacred event that I have enjoy for the past 5 years. The other day, I had an overwhelming need for some cotton candy! You guessed it...The L.A. County Fair. I am a fair addict, but apparently this year I am going to have to start my meetings with the Stake addiction program to ween myself off because I have moved unreasonably far away from the fair and will not be able to share in this year's festivities. I sit here pondering about all the things I love about the fair and wonderful memories rush in and fill my soul with joy. I just typed that last sentence with a little more drama than usual but then realized that even though it sounds a little over the top, that is truly how I feel about the fair. I think someone needs to write a poem about the fair. It will of course not be me because I am embarrassed out of my mind to write a poem and even worse that someone might ever read it. Even if I was good at writing poems, which I assure you I am not, I would never think of sharing. So, that leaves the task to any of my friends feeling up to the challenge. I happen to know for a fact that many of my friends are talented in this department, so I await anxiously a poem expressing the pure joy of the fair.
Top Ten Things I Love About the Fair
10) The anticipation of walking through the tunnel before you actually enter the fair... I can feel it already
9)Little baby anythings. Last year we saw some little goats (I think) right after they were born. Kinda gross, but miraculous anyway.
8)Demolition Derbies. I have actually never been to one of these at the L.A. County Fair, but they just have to be on the list because they are so fantastic. If you haven't ever been because you think they are a little white-trash...you are kind of right, but that doesn't make them any less enjoyable.
7)Fried dough
6)Hot-dog-on-a-stick. Especially those hats! I really need one of those. If someone could round up one at the fair this year, I'd pay you for it. Don't you think you could talk one of those high school kids into giving it to you. They don't like them anyway. Just an idea for the best birthday present ever.
5)The ice cream shack. What is the name of that place? I know that every year I read it wrong and it seems like it says something about boobs. Maybe it is Bob's ice cream shoppe?? Someone help me out here.
4)The crafts!!!!!!! I can't get enough of quilts. Also, does anyone actually know someone who wears crocheted clothing? Even a baby? Have you ever seen a baby in a crocheted outfit? I mean I can crochet, but what is the sense in that. So I don't like those, but everything else in the craft department I just love. That is where I remembered how much I want to learn how to spin yarn.
3)The milk production presentation. I know how milk is made, but every year I am drawn to sit in those bleachers and listen as if it was the most miraculous thing in the universe. Of course that leads me to #2.
2)The chocolate milk!!!!! What else can I say?
1)The Chinese acrobats. I just wonder if they start stretching and balancing like that when they are in the womb, because these guys are amazing.
Well, I hope I have given you all reason enough to get psyched for the fair! Take lots of fun pictures for me. Hey, maybe I should send Flat Amanda back to enjoy the fair.
L.A. County Fair Homepage

P.S. Somebody better go see the B-52s and sing 'Hot Pants' super loud for me.

17 comments:

rachelsaysso said...

Okay, I just voted for everything on your poll! I love the fair!!! I was on the freeway yesterday crossing under the Fairplex overpass and a truck drove across it with a cotton candy stand attached. And it was followed by a Hotdog on a Stick truck. If I hadn't already passed the exit I would have gotten off and followed them. I can't wait until September!

Here's a poem:

Baby lambs that cry and bleat
Sticky fingers, tired feet
So much food for me to eat.
LA County Fair!

Is that cow poo I just stepped in?
May I have some wool to spin?
Will my race horse actually win?
LA County Fair!

I want to go down the big yellow slide.
The Chinese Acrobat fell and died.
When they asked if I've already had 3 free samples of cheese, I lied!
LA County Fair!!!!!!!

PS. It's Dr. Bob's Ice Cream but the sign makes it look like it's Dr. Boob's.
PPS. Please come to California and go to the fair with me!

Amanda said...

I knew you would come up with a clever poem!! I loved it. I almost want to start scrapbooking, just so I can print out this poem and add all sorts of decorations. The poem alone would get its own page. I guess blogging is like an online scrapbook.
What I would give to come back for the fair. You KNOW I would. If only I wasn't starting a brand new job. Aren't you proud of me that I remembered about the Bob instead of Boob. I am. Amazing the things that stick in my head. Nothing important that I could actually use on Trivial Pursuit or Jeopardy, but still an accomplishment.

Amanda said...

Any other poems???

Unknown said...

OK, here goes...
But this will never match the excellence of Rachel's poem.

The County Fair is here to stay,
Amanda had to go away.

The cotton candy and spinny rides,
Will not be seen by Amanda's eyes.

The baby animals, sheep and geese,
Will just be memories of fluffy fleece (OK, I know geese don't have fleece, but it's all about the rhyme).

So resign yourselves to stay away,
because Amanda's gone to stay.

Amanda said...

Well done Nan! It did make me a little more sad that I would be so far away. I know they have county fairs out here, but they are very different and I think I should wait until next year to go. By then I will be more used to the midwestern way of doing things and might not be so disappointed.

rachelsaysso said...

Nice one Nancy!

Amanda - did you know that the Wisconsin State Fair is going on right now? Just Google it and it will take you right there. It ends on the 12th and it's in West Allis, which looks relatively close to you. They may not have a tunnel to walk through but I'm sure they have fried food and baby animals.

Amanda said...

okay, new rule. If you vote 'other' on the poll you have to comment on what that is. K? My curiousity just kills me.

rachelsaysso said...

Okay, by relatively, what I mean is Milwaukee. But what's a few hours drive when there's funnel cake to be had?

Amanda said...

Look at you...researching my WI fairs. What a good friend. By the way Nancy, is Nan. Just thought you'd want the connection, if you were thinking 'who is this nancy character? Boy is she fun.'

rachelsaysso said...

Thanks for the connection. Hi Nan! I was acutally thinking, who is this Nancy person. She's so much fun.

Katie said...

Hi Amanda! I just found your blog -- you're great. Let's talk about the fair. I voted other, because I just truly love people watching at the fair. It's one of my favorite places to do it. I just went to the Orange County Fair with Stacy and adorable Ben -- he really made it worth the whole trip. It wasn't as grand and fabulous as the LA Fair, but it did have a troup who's entire purpose in life is to perform hip hop songs using sign language. That was a hoot! I did get my Hawaiin shaved ice, and that was fabulous, but no Dr. Boobs or chocolate milk. Really, what's the point?

Amanda said...

Hooray for Katie joining our blog conversation!! Isn't everyone so excited!! People watching...that is a really good one. I love that too. I also love people watching at the airport. You probably don't have this problem, but the funnest part for me is laughing at people's clothes or lack there-of. Katie is too nice to think mean thoughts. ;)

Liz the Poet said...

So, I've only been to the fair once. (Actually, maybe twice, I have a vague memory of something fair-like from my childhood).

When you guys (meaning, Rachel and Katie) plan on going, let me know, and I'll tag along.

I only wish I had had a fair experience with you, Amanda.

What a regret!

Heather said...

It sounds like you all really know how to do the fair! I want to go with you!!!

Amanda said...

What fun! Get ready L.A. Fair. Have fun and drink extra chocolate milk for me!

Unknown said...

If you come all the way out here to go to the fair, you'd better take me I will first be in the flower show building, then to where the quilts and crafts place. Then, I guess we will all meet for...shaved ice (cherry). Then, I will say I'm not coming any more, everyone will argue with me, so I then go to the baby animals section to remind myself why I continue to go, year after year, like a locust in the carmel corn.

Amanda said...

LOL! You crack me up Nan! Like a locust in the carmel corn. Nice.
Boy would I love to come back for the fair. I wonder if Dan is still entering in recipes to the fair. He said he would always enter something so they could get free fair tickets with parking. :)