Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Joyous Hotel




So, we got our airfare, hotel and rental car as a combo offere which really was a great price. So, having looked up the hotel on-line, I thought we would be in a great hotel. Look at the lobby. Doesn't it look nice? Well it was suspiscious to me that there was only one other picture of the hotel. So, thinking nothing of it, off we went. We got our car and drove to the hotel. We pulled up and went inside to find the lobby a little warmer than expected, but still cool. It had been unfortunately hot in D.C. the week before and cooled down just for our visit. So, we checked in and started to make our way to the room. Let me mention before you view these next pictures that the hotel did provide little 'Please excuse us while we make our hotel more comfortable for you' signs. So as we headed up the elevator and down our hallway, I was a little surprised by the very old carpet, etc. This is one of those hotels that has a prime location (Dupont Circle) and beautiful old esthetics, so they can pretend that they are a luxury hotel, while not providing basic things like functioning air conditioning!! That's right, when we entered our room, it was sooo muggy! We went to turn on the AC and realized that it was on! So we called the front room and they brought us a box fan. It did make all the difference in the world. I do have to say that our room was very beautiful and the hotel was in a great location, but when you stay in an old building you are bound to get surprises. I guess? Here are a couple pictures.




Okay, I'm pretty sure that most old towns/cities honor heroic men by giving them statues in the center of town and it seems that in D.C. they must always be on a horse. This statue was right outside our hotel window and I didn't even take the time to check who it was honoring. Partly because there are about 807 similar statues in the city. That may not be an accurate number, but if anything it is a little higher than that. I saw them everywhere. I hope someone takes the time to read the inscription because it seems to me that if you are going to get a statue like this, especially in Washington D.C., you probably did some great stuff. If anyone ever wants to make a statue of me, make sure that I am riding in a convertible or something. Horses are too much work.




Since our hotel was undergoing some construction,

this was a daily sight in our lobby. Yep. That is a table saw. I obviously was being super sneaky while taking this picture.

So, here is the little side hallway that apparently doubled as a storage room. During the weekend there was a mattress and box spring in the hall. Hm.... That door near the room service tray was luckily not someone's room. Yikes is really all there is to say. It became kind of like a game. "I wonder what is going to be in the hall today!" And, check out the carpet!
So, word to the wise, Stay somewhere else.

5 comments:

Liz the Poet said...

Okay, sure, it wasn't ideal. But now you can regale us with your funny stories of your quirky hotel!

Yes, working air conditioning would have been nice, but come on, most places have that. But your daily game of "What's in the hallway?", that can't happen at too many places.

(Oh, and by the way, your side comment about Gina lost in her gift bag is one of my favorite things in the whole world. I've copied it, and saved it, and when I feel down, I just look at it and chukle!)

Bronwyn James said...

AC seems like the one thing they would not want to be delinquent on in a city like DC. Chris and I got a deal on a hotel once that was undergoing rennovations. The room was nice enough, but the constant jackhammering outside the window made it hard to relax. We did have AC though.

Ms. Liz said...

That’s funny - I think I know where that hotel is and I've wondered about it. Glad you had fun though. :D Did you get some astronaut ice cream from the Smithsonian?

Heather said...

I havent finished reading yet, but I want to pretend I'm smart (but really I'm just repeating something my mom told me)...but the statues (at least those comemorating the Battle of Gettysburg) actually have meaning. On a horse with all 4 legs on the ground means the soldier died outside of battle, 1 leg up means he was injured in battle, and if the front 2 legs up the soldier died in battle...pretty interesting...

Amanda said...

Okay, Heather, that actually makes it interesting. I don't know that I saw any two front legs up, so I'll be more attentive next time I see a man on a horse. That would be a fun little scavenger hunt. How many horses with all four on the ground, 1 leg up and 2 up. Bronwyn that is one of your first responsibilities when back in D.C. Come to think of it, you could do that in Boston too. I'm sure there are lots of men on horses there. Thanks Heather, I feel smarter now.