Monday, August 20, 2007

Another moment from my perfect day

Well, I have already blogged today about my peeing pup. I was so hopeful that that would be the low point of my day and considering that it was SO bad, it would be hard to imagine that the day wouldn't turn better at that point. Wishful thinking.
After my Visiting Teachers came over, my new Relief Society President stopped by with her daughter. Her daughter is applying to be part of a gifted and talented class at school and she had to write an essay. She approached me last week and asked if I would help her with it. I said yes, because we habitually do that at church even without realizing what we are thinking.
Let me mention that I don't actually like writing. So, helping her was a bit out of my comfort zone to begin with. Why would she ask me for help? Well, because I am a teacher so I should feel good about that. Hmm...should. So she brought the essay to church yesterday and I told her I would take it home and review it and then she could come over today and I would give her my suggestions. Sound good? Yeah, it was. The essay she wrote was good and I only had a couple of ideas for her. So she and her mom are sitting on the couch across from me as I have my legs crossed in front of me. We are chatting about quilts and other things when to my complete embarassment I realize that my second pair of pants of the day are my slippery zipper pants. That is right.
You know how you go and buy a lovely pair of pants that are new and beautiful and perfect in every way except that for some unknown reason the zipper just falls down all the time? You know those pants. We have all had a pair. If you haven't, I don't want to be friends anymore.
Now, of course you realize that the really bad part isn't necessarily that the zipper is down, but it is the wondering how long your pride has been wounded without even knowing it. I'm just wondering if the lovely pefectly white haired Visiting Teacher was embarassed for me earlier in the morning and didn't have the heart to say anything because I had already shared my embarassment of being peed on?

5 comments:

Laura said...

Yes, I've had slippery zippers! My most embarrasing episode...I was in high school and working at The Whole Enchilada restaurant in Diamond Bar. During the summer we had to wear black shorts and a company t-shirt. My brother worked there too. I guess one of his customers told him that my zipper was down and to tell me. I'm sure he was mortified, but so was I. That zipper NEVER stayed up. I think after that night, I trashed them and found a different pair!

rachelsaysso said...

Curse you slippery zipper! I had a pair of shorts that were so cute so I refused to give them up, even though the zipper always fell down during the same English class at MtSAC. I'm sure my teacher thought I was some crazy Mormon exhibitionist.

I'm sorry you had such a crudy day. Days like that always make me want to watch Anne of Green Gables just to hear Anne say, "Oh Marilla, it's been such a Jonah Day!"

Amanda said...

A Jonah Day it was! Today is looking better.

Ms. Liz said...

I had a pair of jeans that I loved and that I incidentally wore to work one day and I was standing talking to at my coworker's cubicle getting the DL for the day and he was sitting down and asked me "did you forget something today?" and then looked away - not only did my zipper decided to be lazy but my coworker had a front row seat! (I still get red even thinking about it.)It took me a second to understand what he meant so he had to repeat it (to make matters more mortifying). And then after I picked up the pieces of my dignity off the floor I found a safety pin and called it blessed.

Ms. Liz said...

I totally sympathize! And I'm so happy you're having a better day.