Okay, so here I go. I have been thinking about this for several days and am having an inner struggle and need a little help from my friends. This is especially meant for those friends with serious political views. I have almost just picked up the phone to call and ask for advice several times, but it is always at an inconvenient time. While I am thinking about it, you are at work and when you are home from work, I am deeply involved in my t.v. watching.
So, here goes. For those of you who don't know, I LOVE to vote. I get super excited to use my liberties to go and make my voice heard. I especially love the stickers. Not that stickers themselves are impressive, but I love to have it and then go shopping. I want everyone to see my sticker, not so they think I am a super citizen, but I want them to go vote. I have previously thought it was irresponsible not to vote. No offense meant to those of you who might not be voters. I just really got into it.
So, my problem comes this year. This year of election has seemingly gotten everyone excited and ready to go. Everyone except me. I am not ready to go. I am not ready to cast my vote and frankly, I don't want to! There I said it. I don't want to vote.
It seems like in the past, there was one reason or another for me to decide on a candidate although, I am almost always undecided until the last minute. I read, I listen, I watch and still this year I have no real sense of involvement in whether McCain or Obama wins. And I live in one of those states that is apparently up for grabs. I should care more, right? I should. But I don't.
My question is this: Can I be a responsible citizen and choose not to vote because I just don't think it matters which one wins? If I don't think that one candidate is better than the other, do I have to vote, to appreciate democracy? Or, can I say, I appreciate my liberties and I am not going to feel pressed to vote for one person because I have to?
Feel free to express whichever view you would like to. I have never been in this boat before and would love to be talked into voting, but was wondering if anyone else feels/has felt this way.
13 comments:
I'm going to admit that I've felt the same recently and it's very sad. Although I'm still excited to vote because YES ON 8! But as far as the president goes, I'm not so thrilled with my choices and have yet to decide on whom I want and it's frustrating to me that I can't make up my mind. One day I'm set on one guy and then I'll read something and then I'll be for the other one. Why can't I make up my mind?
And I don't think it's wrong for you to not vote. Because if you have studied out the candidates and legitimately feel like neither one fits the bill then it's okay to be a contientious (this is my least favorite word to spell. I have no idea if it's right.) objector. But I hope you're still going to vote for the local stuff and get your sticker.
Our local issue this year is another referendum for the school district.
Thanks for your input and glad to see I'm not still the only undecided out there.
I'm sad to say that I, too, am almost dreading this election. I wish it was over--isn't that sad? I am usually excited to vote, and I love going to the poll to do it...but this year I actually considered getting an absentee ballot because I just didn't want to think about it anymore.
I think that can still vote, you should just do a write in for presidential candidate...And I'd like to nominate you! AMANDA FOR PRESIDENT!
I am a serious voter. It's important. I don't share my views very much in the group because I think many of you vary quite a bit, and I don't want to argue with my friends about politics wither.
I agree that the choices this year are not the best we've ever had. However, to me there is one clear choice, but only because the other is SO far off from my beliefs, that I could never vote for him.
If you want serious answers on this one and not funny ones...I do believe that you have a duty to vote (even if the choices aren't your favorite). However...there are times when I do not know enough about a certain candidate (especially local leadership) to feel like I'm making an educated choice, so I don't vote for either of them (though I have also voted stricly along party lines, but don't necessarily agree with that). However #2...if I have researched the candidates (as it seems you have), I feel that it's necessary to make the best choice that aligns the most to my viewpoint.
And P.S...this year...my theory on how I vote for bond measures and propositions...Vote No on anything that costs more money...especially if the fiscal impact they list is "unknown"...scary!
Oh, and lastly...I 2nd Heather's idea about Amanda for President as a write in! You could pass laws like pajamas being the only acceptable attire for the workplace!
Sounds like I'm on the same boat as everyone else. I voted absentee just to get it over with, although I'm very sad that I will not get a sticker. My main reason to vote was for Yes on 102 (AZ's version of CA's prop 8). All the other issues I just didn't care about because I feel I have been lied to on the commercials anyway. I was very close to just writing someone in but was influenced by my brother-in-law to vote for a certain candidate. Let's just say on his truck he has a "NO-bama" bumper sticker. I really wasn't impressed by any candidate and I'm not sure what any of them can do for our country, I feel our constitution is already hanging by a thread. Sorry to be such a downer on this one.
I have to say thank you to you guys for responding. I'm glad that I have such a conscientious friends when it comes to voting.
It seems like we all care too much. I mean that we really want and maybe expect real answers and then are truly disappointed when they don't come.
In response to Laura, I wish I could just make a list of the issues and see which candidate I had more in common with, but it really is split pretty well. What's a girl to do?
I am feeling like I will vote, but I'm still not sure about who. I'll just be so grateful for November 5th. Hey that would be a good Palooza.
Love you girls.
I think this year it is hard. But, just like Laura, I think it's your duty to make the best possible choice and vote! For me, it's easier(with kids) to vote absentee.
I feel like this presidential debate has been one mud sling after another and I hardly know what to believe. "You voted this way, " No I didn't" "you voted this way" "no I didn't"
rediculous!
Okay Ill actually put it out there. With everything going on especially in our economy it would be a shame for people not to vote. I guess I have a very different perspective about this election. I've never believed that any one candidate is going to share ALL of my beliefs, or that one person is going to fix ALL the problems of the world. That being said I don’t vote along any one party line, but I am super excited for this election. This may get me in trouble but here it goes...
Things are BAD.. really bad and I have decided to vote for "CHANGE" and "hope" and for that reason I could not with good conscious vote for the same old politics that we have had for eight years. That to me is terrifying. Although politics is always a little shady, I feel a renewed sense of excitement, passion, and belief that we can change- if only a little.
I'm so glad you are excited. I wish that I was in that boat because I have always enjoyed voting, if not the campaigning. It is wonderful to see the nation so involved in this election in a way that seems different than before.
I'm glad that people feel passionately about their candidate of choice and wish that I could get to that place.
Glad to hear that you'll be voting! :)
Even though I feel like voting is a social obligation (which is a little bit hypocritical as I haven't always voted), I also stand by the right not to vote if neither candidate has anything to offer you. That's as much a part of a democracy as voting. In some places people are forced to vote and it means nothing. So as long as you are conscientious- (Rachel, I think that's how it's spelled) -ly not voting, that is your right. That's how I feel about it.
Here's the thing - I don't like voting - this year especially, because I fell morally bound to vote on issues rather than people. I think of things like what type of supreme court justices are these people going to pick? Is it more important to have a president who is charismatic and a seemingly nice man, or a president who will more likely lend support to uphold my moral views in laws that will be around for a very long time. Do I want our country to become a free-for-all of no on prop8 laws? Do I want Roe Vs. Wade to stay forever? Do I really want to be forced to contribute more to bailing out irresponsible people from their life's problems? These are the ISSUES that I feel compelled to vote on, and sometimes that means I can't consider the individuals involved as much as other people do. Does that make sense?
I’ve hesitated posting on this topic because you know how I am about discussing politics! Namely, I don’t do it!
But, I’ll weigh-in a little bit. If you’re split down the middle about who to vote for President, I would focus less on economics and more on morals. For the most part, economics will fluctuate no matter who is in charge. (Although, I do feel that the wrong fiscal policies can make things a whole heck of a lot worse.) But, morals shouldn’t fluctuate.
I could go on, but I’ll leave it at that since I don’t feel I’m being very helpful…
Do what you feel is best--that is my advice. I am like most everyone else here--unimpressed by either candidate. I must share a funny story (or sad, depending upon how you look at it). The other day during my conference hour I walked into another teahcer's classroom who shares the same conference hour to discuss essay strategies for students. . . she was in the midst of a political discussion with another teacher, so as soon as I walked in they asked, "Who are you voting for?" That was a broad question, so I asked, "At which level of government?" Needless to say, I mentioned how I am undecided because I really don't like either candidate. I did mention that I am leaning McCain simply because the senate and congress will both be democrat and I feel it necessary to have a system of checks and balances. Anyhow, this teacher said, "How can you support that Palin--she is not experienced enough to be President," to which I replied, "Obama doesn't have any more experience than Palin." And here is the kicker! She replied, "Yeah, but Obama has been running his campaign for the last two years and I think that gives him the experience he needs." Can you believe that! That has to be the most rediculous argument I have ever heard for any candidate! Needless to say, I bit my tongue and said nothing in order to maintain civility. :)
Post a Comment