Monday, July 21, 2008

Why I am a Million Years Old

I have no idea what the heck Facebook is all about. Anyone?
I get the idea of finding friends that you haven't talked to in awhile. Nice. But then there is the "Bob threw a care bear at you." What the...? What does that even mean? Am I so out of touch that somehow that gained social significance and I am the only one that doesn't understand that? I mean is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Then the even more confusing 'Friends for sale as Pets' application. I got this little invite that says 'Rufus has purchased you as a pet. See how much you are worth.' Well, let me be very clear. I know that I am worth more as an individual than whatever dollar amount is now attached to me as a chipmunk, goldfish or whatever animal that I somehow resemble.
I'm not even sure when I got a Facebook page. I must admit that I have never thrown a Care Bear or sent someone a virtual flower/hug/hamburger/Trans-Am or any of the other random computer gifts. I just don't see the point. Does anyone? I mean if I have friends that only know that I care about them because I spend my time spamming them with Facebook crap and not actually because I call them or spend time with them, well then, I am a horrible friend. Sorry, I am getting a little worked up here.
Another significant point of interest for me: When was it that people lost all common sense and started paying REAL money to purchase PRETEND computer stuff???????? I admire the genius that came up with this because lets just say Millionaire. The fact that there are enough individuals in the world that say 'Hmmm,yeah that's a good idea. I'll pay $5 to buy a pretend flower to send to my (possibly pretend)friend on the internet' is a little mind boggling to me.
Sorry about my little tirade here, but I'm very obviously a grandma now and am so out of the loop that I don't think this is cool and really find it extremely annoying.
So, if you are reading this and the temptation has ever occured to you to send me ANY Facebook invitation, forget it. That is a prompting coming from Satan himself. I don't want to play any pretend game on the computer with you and I don't want to be 'owned' by you.
Okay, really I am going to be done, but to anyone who spends more than 10 minutes on Facebook a day, please for the love, find some other hobby. Maybe one where you are interacting with living people and/or real things.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Hahahahaha! I love it.

I think facebook is good for finding old friends but I totally agree about all the rest. My friend will change his status to "whoever sends me another invite to some stupid quiz is getting deleted as my friend. I'm serious." I think that's so funny!

And you're so right about the millionaire situation! Genius! And ridiculous!!!!

Andrea said...

Oh Amanda I totally agree! I love the fact that I've been able to contact friends that I haven't seen in 10 years, but I ignore them when they through a gummy bear at me. What's even more annoying is that while I'm at work an email will pop up on outlook and I'll think it's important work stuff, nope it's just another "superpoke" from one of my "friends". Enough already!

Liz the Poet said...

You know, I got a facebook page to see someone else's (I think, really, I've blocked it from my memory). And I get stuff like that as well.

I can't understand it. I don't respond to it. And I refuse to participate in it.

So, you're not alone.

For me, the facebook stuff I receive is sent to the graveyard where I send all the emails I get telling me that someone loves me, or thinks I'm super great, or wants me to know Jesus loves me and made flowers to show that love.

SWEET LAND OF LIBERTY!! When will the insanity end...

Heather said...

I am SO glad you posted this! Just last night my "friend" was telling me I need to set up a Facebook account so that he can keep in contact with me. (We were on the phone, but apparently that isnt good enough.) But I guess I'm a million years old, too, because I just don't understand why I'd want to. I mean, I watch my sister and my friends on their accounts, and I get so bored as they're trying to explain how cool it is to superpoke someone...I'd rather spend a day friendless at the beach, than "throwing" virtual crap on the computer.
Oh ya, and I have REAL friends to do stuff with.
(I miss you Amanda!)

rachelsaysso said...

I hate to break it to you but the reason why these things happen on Facebook is because it was created for 16 year olds. So if a 30 year old who really wishes he was 16 again sees that he has the opportunity to act like one, he's going to do it.