Visit these places: (records)
1)Africa: 136° El Azizia, Libya
2) Antarctica: -129° Vostok
3) Record Snowfall:
In 1 month (U.S.): 390" Tamarack, Calif. Jan. 1911
In 24 hours (N. America):76" Silver Lake, Colo. April 14–15, 1921
In one storm (N. America):189" Mt. Shasta Ski Bowl, Calif. Feb. 13–19, 1959
In one season (N. America): 1,140" Mount Baker, Wash. 1998–1999
I thought that 101" of snow this year was bad. Where the heck is Tamarack, CA? I hope all these places are uninhabited.
Just interesting tidbit: It has never rained in the history keeping of Antofagasta Region, Atacama Desert, Chile. Hello??? Never rained? I get that it is the desert, but still!
4) Most rain in 24 hours: 72.0" at Foc-Foc, La Réunion Island (Jan 7, 1966)
5) Fastest wind ever recorded: 301 mph, in a tornado near Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (May 3, 1999)
6)Why does Chicago get to call itself the windy city?
Okay, so I'm not sure what spurred my look into random weather records, but incase you are super curious about other extreme weather facts, check here.
1 comment:
That's some serious snow! I think we got about 24" in one week last year in Boston and I was sure no one had ever had it so hard. It's possible I was wrong. Several of those records were in CA you know. You may have escaped just in time!
Post a Comment