Friday, July 27, 2007

Did I need a Farm?

I think somewhere deep inside of me, I am a farmer's daughter. Wait a minute. My great grandparents were farmers, so maybe that accounts for my garden. I set out this year to plant and harvest and live off the land. I have previously not had any luck planting things. I almost immediately kill everything. You see, I have to love it. And by love it, I mean water it ALL the time. Apparently that is a bad idea. So this year, my mom came to visit me in May and since John and I bought a house ready for a garden, I insisted on getting going. My mom and I decided to plant squash, tomatoes, red peppers (which turned out to be green peppers), cucumbers, corn and strawberries. So, we could only find the squash plants in 6 packs. I bought one zuchinni pack and one yellow squash pack. Two tomato plants, two pepper plants and LOTS of strawberries. Can you ever have too many strawberries? We'll see next year when they actually grow berries. Oh, and some cucumber plants.
When we planted those big mounds far apart in the garden (per the instructions on the seed packets) I thought I had really given the squash too much room and that it was going to end up looking empty. I shouldn't have worried. Even after killing off about 3/4 of the squash plants by running the hose over their delicate stems, a few survived. Well, by now, the plants are about 4 ft tall and that wide across. It is the most incredible thing I've ever seen. The zuchinnis were the first to come in and I've steamed and baked and fried and made bread and about prepared to blanch and freeze! If you don't pick the squash within a couple days, they begin to explode. I am preparing break the world record for largest zuchinni. I have about 6 that I think could challenge any record. I know you are supposed to cut them off so they don't sap energy from future squash production, but I think that would provide me with more zuchinni. I'm pretty sure if I don't see another one before next summer, I will be a happy camper. I have tried to bring them to the neighbors, but apparently everyone thought to plant zuchinni. I think next year we should coordinate. I plant zuchinni for the whole neighborhood. Someone else plant tomatoes and someone else peppers. A community garden! :) Happiness is. Then you could force your vegetables on others without feeling guilty.
Well, now the yellow squash and cucumbers are in abundance. I picked about 5 of each yesterday and it rained last night and this morning I picked 5 more squash and 3 more cucumbers!!! HELLO!! Next week the tomatoes and the peppers will be ready and I'm already getting overwhelmed. Anyone for some veggies? Come and get 'em.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amandy, (your new nickname)
Good luck on the dream list #4 Garage as a girly place. I've never seen that one in my life, but Tracy probably can give you tips as she has been most successful there (like, send him to the store to pick out a piano, then rearrange). Love you much,
Not rug dancing much anymore.