Dear Over Achiever,
I am not very well acquainted with you and don't really ever plan on joining your club. I have always been happy in life doing just enough to get by. I am sometimes bugged that your over zealousness makes me look bad, but I have enough inner strength to not let it bug me too long. Until, this weekend!
Friday afternoon, as I pulled into the parking lot of the Youth Conference gathering point. A lovely little out of the way camp/lodge type place. I was checking in and getting my bright yellow t-shirt that we were assigned to wear for the two days when I noticed you.
There you were standing there holding your 4 month old baby. WHAT?? I was saying a little prayer for you that you were just dropping girls off. Not the case. You were committed to stay for two days through the 800% humidity that was Friday and enjoy the antics of teenage girls.
I might normally be tempted to say 'hats off to you' if you are up to that sort of thing, but I am not humored. You see, I am planning on having my little baby in January and I have full intentions of milking the 'I can't possibly commit because I have a new baby' routine for at least 78 months. So, your presence made me a little nervous.
The Stake YW Presidency was there and apparently the sacrifices of the last two years of Girl's Camp and two years of Youth Conference are not enough. One lovely lady hinted about 800 times that that would be me next summer. I was on the verge of being rude by straight out telling her no. That did not discourage her one bit. She would point to you and say 'She's such a good example for you.' Um. NO!
Finally, I told this lady that I don't say no to callings, but I would say no to any summer assignments next year. Apparently, my hinting and sarcasm were totally lost, so direct and to the point I go.
So, just for the record and as an announcement to other soon to be mothers, I would appreciate it if you could lay low for a little longer, so as not to set expectations too high.
Sincerly,
Amanda the Under Achiever
7 comments:
Amanda, I hear you and would do the exact same thing.
In fact, if there was some way I could use your baby as an excuse, I would.)
Liz, I'm sure Amanda would love you to use her as an excuse "I'm sorry, I can't help you that week; my friend just had a baby, so I'm going to go visit her."
In fact, maybe I need to drop all my classes and come help you get your nursery ready...
Clearly, that mom didn't get the handbook. I'm always surprised by women whose water breaks in public. I'm planning on using the very valid excuse of being 180 months pregnant to hybernate with a bowl of ice cream.
Amanda, you are totally in the right. I guess some ladies just have it easy, but I think they're hiding something. I have a slight beef with people thinking that moms can do it all, when they are clearly falling apart(like me) And you are not an under acheiver.
I use Brock as an excuss for everything. Especially phone calls from people I don't feel like answering back for a while. "Sorry, I was giving the baby a bath" or "I'm sorry, I was trying to get Brock down for a nap". I think in a situation like that I would have said "I'm sorry, we think* he might have an outdoor allergy, and it isn't safe to have him here until all his vaccines are done ... when will they be done? Just before his mission. I know, it's the cross we have to bare."
I have had the three kids three and under for several months now, and it was working out exceptionally well until another family moved into our ward with three kids nearly the exact same ages as ours. Their first two are 17 mths apart as opposed to our 13 mths, but still, it has made my life harder to have someone to compare to!
I will assume that this is not her first child. I would have taken your position when I had Mae, but after I had Clark I felt different. I realized that babies are easier (again, I did not feel this way with Mae)when they are small. So, I dragged Clark with me everywhere. Anyway. . all I am saying is. . . you may not feel exactly the same way with #2. . .
YOu may want the break from #1, and if you have to go to Youth Conference to get. . .well, you just may! :) LOve!
Post a Comment