Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Funnies

Well, it has been a very long hiatus, but my funny kindergarteners are back. I don't know where they have been, but luckily they returned for an encore performance today.
Somehow my kids got curious about mummies today, thanks to Scooby Doo. So, we went to the library and took out a few books. They were asking questions and I was doing my best to enlighten the little kiddos.
Funny #1
We were talking about mummies and some of the kids were concerned that they would be buried like that. I explained that that is not how we do things now/here. One kid raised his hand and asked about how long ago it was. I answered 5,000 years. Without missing a beat, he responded that that was when his grandmother was born.
Funny #2
There was a picture of some of the goodies that were added to some of the mummies. They asked why they had so much stuff and I responded that when they died, they believed they would need those things in heaven. The most adorable little boy in my class, got all excited and said 'I know all about heaven. It is a really special place where you get to choose to have wings or a tail.' Then this little girl in front of him practically fell over she was rolling her eyes so hard. She said 'no way.' I let her know that lots of people have different beliefs about heaven and we needed to be respectful. She turned back around and looked at me and kind of did this little 'just between us, he's a little crazy' look. It was priceless.

Not-so-funny#1 and only
I have a lovely little boy that has had a difficult time this year with private part incidents. It has been a long time since we have had one of these, but today was apparently too much.
During our 'mummies are wrapped in linen' conversation, he piped in 'Yeah and when you unwrap them, you can see their private bone.' Um, hello? So, I just said 'office.' As he was walking out, he says under his breath 'well, at least I didn't say the real word.' Somehow he was convinced that that really made a huge difference. What to do?

4 comments:

themayerfamily said...

Ok, I can't wait to choose a wing or tail! And really, some grandmas are 5,000 years old. I'm so glad you had at least a couple of funnies--it makes it worth it some days. As for the other--I don't have any suggestions. Hayden still sometimes reads the scriptures,"and Jesus toots!" He thinks it's hillarious--and so does his dad and so that is the end of the story.

Gina said...

Amanda, I'm so glad you had a happy day at work. Yeah!!!

Tammy said...

Oh I could write a book with the funny and crazy things my four year old nephew says. My favorite right now that he says is "snores" for smores when we go to the beach and have a fire.

Wendy said...

You just have to wonder (and then be glad you don't know)what some kids are exposed to at home to say the things they do. And kids learn so quickly from each other. I watch a five year old and a two year old, a set of brothers, every morning now. The 5 year old thinks he is a 14 year-old skater by the way he talks. CT has picked some of this up and now goes around saying things like "Dude! You've got to be kidding me!" and the one I can't stand, he says, "What the?!". It disconcerts me to hear a 3 year old talking like this.