Sunday, May 11, 2008

What on Earth????

I'm pretty sure that I heard good things about The Notebook. I know that it has been on my list of movies to watch, for a very long time, but somehow I never rented it. Hmmmm...might that be because I would cry through more than half of the movie? Maybe. Well, tonight was that night. I vaguely remember people saying it was sad, but I don't think that is an appropriate description. Devestating and Heartbreaking and Inspirational all at the same time.
Okay, come with me for a moment to the scene when the children come to visit and after she goes to her room, the kids are trying to convince the dad to come home. Then he says that his home will always be with his sweetheart! Okay, Rachel, take a moment and get a hankie. I was sobbing and down came John. He was trying to convince me to turn it off and watch Jumper with him. It was too late, my heart was breaking and I had to finish it. He was kind and let me sob through the rest of the movie.
I do have to say, I was so happy with the ending. It just was perfect. Even though this was so sad, it really was a good movie, unlike Away From Her. Don't ever watch that movie. Bad news bears is all I can say! I'm sure you have all watched this already. If not, pick a day when you need an hour long cry and give it a go! Best to have chocolate nearby.
P.S. Happy News: Dove chocolate ice cream bars were on sale at the grocery store tonight. Buy one/get one free!!!! Yummy!

3 comments:

Laura said...

I agree that the ending of The Notebook is beautiful and appropriate. The book does not end like that though, which is good, in a way, because there's a sequel. If you ever want to hear what happens to the family...read The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks.

Bronwyn James said...

Oh no. Oh dear. I always feel like I'm a dream crusher or a kitten kicker or something when I say this, but I did NOT like this movie. It didn't make me cry and I could hardly understand why there were so many sniffles in the theater. I know that you have a tender heart, and that you love me, and that our friendship will survive this difference of opinion. I still love The Office!

Wendy said...

So, when you said "Bad new bears" it made me think of the movie by that name. Do you remember it from childhood? A lighthearted frolic through the follies of adorable little leaguers with a crabby coach? Well, that's how I remembered it too. Then Tyler and I watched it about a year ago after he found it in the $5.00 bin at Albertson's. We were shocked! It was, shall we say, very politically incorrect (racially speaking), as well as full of foul language and inappropriate themes for the age group. What a way to burst a bubble of something I recalled as wholesome family entertainment!