I am officially doing my school countdown. 7weeks, 3 days until the end of my career as a teacher. At least for the time being. So, I have been hitting the internet hard lately, looking for a possible job. I usually feel confident about my abilities and I've never felt nervous about interviews, but now as I prepare to apply for a new job, I am really getting worried.
The first concern is that I have no idea what I want to do. In my year of misery, I just assumed that any job would be better than what I'm doing right now. That being said, I don't want any job. I want a job that I will enjoy with people that I like.
The real problem is that even though I have plenty of education and experience, I have neither in areas that are helpful in a non-educator's job market.
I went to the local Farmer's Market on Saturday and really put myself out there. I must have mentioned 1/2 dozen times that I am an aspiring farmer. There were no takers, so apparently they have all the farmhands that they need right now.
I took one of those free career tests on-line and I was really confused about who they think I am. One of the parts was talking about how I really like abstract thinking (that's a bunch of crap, I am concrete girl) and that I am highly organized (um...who?) I was curious about how they got that out of my answers, but there were no real solid career ideas. Just vague comments about long term goals and people. So, yeah I like people. That much they got. People over 20. I think that is my cut off right now.
Now that I am short on ideas and the good ole' World Wide Web is of no help, I guess I'll try to get by with a little help from my friends... la la la.
Any ideas?
Seeing that I am unorganized and have a very short memory (or no memory at all)
I don't like annoying people
I'm not really great at math
and
I want to make a lot of money :)
Any ideas??
8 comments:
I saw a list of non-classroom opportunities in education:
1. Resource Teacher/Specialist
2. Media Specialist
3. Counselor (academic)
4. School Psychologist
5. Curriculum Development
6. Day-Care Director
7. Community Center Manager
8. Private Industry Consultant/Trainer
9. Health Industry Related Teaching
10. Government Research, Publishing, Consulting
Well I do not know most of those jobs, but I hope this helps :)
Here are my ideas - considering that you are a people person, and you want to make lots of money:
- PR director
- Celebrity publicist
- Party planner to the stars (but only if you hire someone organized like me to handle all the details)
- Hotel/Restaurant owner
Ummm...that's about it. Since most of these aren't exactly entry level, I think you're out of luck. Maybe you should try for some sort of customer service thing. You won't make a ton, but you'd get to talk to people all day long!
Maybe you can convince Bert & Rocky to open up an ice cream shop near you. I mean, think of all the chocolate orange you could sell! Plus, you'd be able to help them invent new flavors. I think you should give them a call! :)
Amanda! Stop the presses! Or um, you know. Whatever you were doing. This is your chance! YOU can be the retro type diner owner!!! Think about it, whimsical regulars...mysterious strangers...all the french fries you can eat! Plus! When diner owners are frustrated with annoying people its totally charming! You could be the girl Luke! (Which I guess would make John Lorelai, but you don't have to mention that to him right away.) I don't know if you could tell by the surplus of exclamation points in this comment but I am super excited by this idea and will be mildly devastated if you choose not to pursue this very well thought out and extremely practical career path.
Um...run on sentence much Hannah?
I am totally on board with Hannah's brilliant idea for retro dinner owner, and if you open one I will move out to Wisconsin to run it with you. No joke. Okay, maybe a little joke because you know me and snow. Actually, you don't know me and snow since we've only known each other in sunny California. Let me tell you, remember when Gina threatened to punch that toll lady in the face at 5 in the morning? That's how I am all the time in snow. So I guess I can be Luke on a bad day during the winter. I actually went to a new little diner the other day for breakfast and loved it so much that I asked if they were hiring and they said no. I was a little sad.
I don't have any good ideas. Except flight attendant. Did that always sound glamorous to you as a child like it did to me? Now it sounds kind of terrible actually. Being a waitress at 10,000 feet and not even getting a tip...and airline travel is always so frustrating. But, you would get free peanuts and pretzels, which might be a plus. And those teeny tiny water bottles, which are adorable.
What caring and supportive friends, I have!
In response to a few of your ideas...
1)Tammy, great list, but 6 of them still involve children and the others usually like some experience. I do like the sound of consulting. I think consulting could really be for anything. I need to find someone who will pay me to consult on fun hobbies. I could be a Hobby Assistant...the the celebrities.
Laura, you obviously forgot that I actually live far, far away from any real stars.
I did have someone tell me I should do event planning. I had your same thought and I told them I could be the personality part of the operation and then someone else would really have to do all of the planning and organization. I'd still like to earn 70% of the earnings, so that could get tricky.
And Hannah, a great idea, just a little too late. There is an old diner that is right next to my current job and it was for sale. I just saw today that it says 'sold' on the sign.
I blew it girls. Sorry to disappoint.
Wendy, yes flight attendant did always sound fun as a kid. I thought it was the most luxurious job in the world. Now I realize that they don't even get a real seat. Just that little flip down one by the bathroom. Plus, I think they still have to pay the $80 for the snack packs. I'll be working on some new ideas.
Post a Comment