I am writing this in a bit of a tizzy, so you'll have to pardon me if this post seems to be directed at you. I am not so irritated by you as I am with my own computer ignorance.
What is bothering me you ask? This is blog related and I'm just about done. When I go to read the lovely comments that have been posted by many of my friends, there pops up a really annoying box that says something to the effect of 'this page displays secure and unsecure items. do you wish to view them.' Then I have to click a stupid little yes or no button. When I am in the mode for witty comments I really can't be bothered with this box.
The first part of my frustration is the time element. I mean how many minutes of my life am I spending clicking that dumb button anyway? I have really important things to do with my time and I don't know why someone's picture is considered insecure (or unsecure). Are you guys feeling self-conscious or are you embedding secret codes into those pictures? Just curious.
Second part of the frustration is that I really don't even know what it means that there are insecure items on the page. I hate it when any random box pops up on my screen and I instinctively just hit 'close' or 'cancel' having no idea if that is going to make my computer explode. Favorite moment: "John, my computer is doing weird things." "Yeah, what is happening?" "Well, a box is popping up." "What does it say?" "Blah, blah, blah...I don't know."
I mean seriously?
So, any of you know how to fix this? I actually did some poking around and there is no 'don't ask me again' button that they conveniently put now a days. Hmm...
I'm feeling so much better. Sorry all you with pictures. I still love you, even though I don't really know most of you.
5 comments:
I agree about that stupid box. I haven't been able to get rid of it, or find that it makes much of a difference. I get another one that says something about my computer trying to reference a target that doesn't exist. Well, if it doesn't exist, then STOP referencing it! Duh!! I do think that one might be some sort of virus though because when it happens, it crashes my explorer. I'm just afraid to take my laptop to any repair person because I've heard some stories lately about how they go to fix your computer and basically harvest all your personal information, web history, etc. while they're doing it. Crazy world we live in!
I agree that the box is annoying, but I have to argue that such boxes are now an integral part of our lives, and maybe we should embrace them instead of despise them. Every time I open up Microsoft Excel I have to go through the routine of waiting for some random registration box to pop up, clicking the "close" button, clicking another "close" button on an additional popup, and then I get my Excel sheet. I have been doing this for a full year now, and I must say I'm kind of growing fond of the ritual. Okay, I'm lying now. What I really want to do is hiss like a cat, kick the computer and then pour soda in the CD tray. And don't think I haven't tried every possible means of making the box go away! It's VERY persistent!
Hey Bronwyn, that Excel thing is annoying. If you email me the exact text, I bet John would have an easy answer for that problem.
You know who's to blame for the secure box? People who load pictures with their name. That's the deal. I don't even know how to do it and even if I did, I wouldn't. I'm thinking of others.
Hey Bronwyn, that Excel thing is annoying. If you email me the exact text, I bet John would have an easy answer for that problem.
You know who's to blame for the secure box? People who load pictures with their name. That's the deal. I don't even know how to do it and even if I did, I wouldn't. I'm thinking of others.
Post a Comment