Friday, February 8, 2008

9,102 Steps to Go!

I get so jazzed up with the idea of a competition. I somehow secretly or not so secretly think I am talented at everything and that if there is a competition of any sort, I should win. Cheating is allowed , but I would always prefer to win on my own merits. Highly unlikely, but preferrable.
Little piece of advice: Do not go to a bridal or baby shower with me if there are games and prizes to be won. I will have forgotten about the bride or baby within 5 minutes and hyper-focused on the prize. (Katie, I miss your little party trivia games)
So at work we got a little email that got me excited about the newest opportunity to prove myself. We are having a walk-a-thon. Okay, not really, but we are supposed to walk around all day with a pedometer and make goals to walk more than we did the day before. We each put in $15 and that money goes towards prizes for those meeting their goal. You see it isn't really a competition at all. I am probably the only one who entered for the sole pupose of winning.
So, I am now wearing my pedometer and unfortunately I don't get steps while sitting. Apparently the $4.88 model is fancy enough to recognize the difference between a legitimate step and a chair bound hip shake. Rats!
So, here goes. You know they say that you should get 10,000 steps in a day? How does that exactly work? Anyone ever worn a pedometer before and reached any substantial number?
I am for sure wearing this to my tap dance class. 1 hr 15 minutes of steppin' fever!
Wish me luck!

8 comments:

Emmy said...

Hey, good luck with this, girl! When I walk around with a pedometer on, chasing my kids around, I do 9500 steps in a day. So, it's totally doable. Also, the New Beginnings that you wanted to know about - I will try to get the whole concept on paper and email it to you. But, basically it's BYwU (Butterfield Young Women University) (we're the butterfield stage ward). It's a whole college theme - each girl got an invitation that looks like an acceptance letter. The pictures were from the "yearbook" that we are showing the girls. We are seriously having WAY too much fun with it. Anyway. . .I will email you!

rachelsaysso said...

Good luck! Walking to the freezer to refill my ice cream bowl has always gotten me a few extra steps.

Amanda said...

Thanks Rachel for that hint. I just went and did that on your recommendation. Anything for more steps right? If there was always ice cream at the end of any task, I really could do just about anything! Have some chocolate orange for me! Yum!

Laura said...

I wore a pedometer a couple years ago and got 25,000 steps one day. It was a particularly active day, so certainly not in the norm for me. But I'm guessing I would get at least 5,000 for trips back and forth to the kitchen for snacks!

Bronwyn James said...

So what is your average steppage on an average day? I'm curious now. And how far is 10,000 steps? Accounting for length of stride and length of foot of course. Good luck!!

Rebecca said...

Yeah, have you ever thought of taking little tiny steps everywhere? You could easily double your steps ... I guess I like to cheat as well.

Heather said...

how's the steppin' going? I'm thinking about doing that too...it sounds like a good way to get a few more steps in each day.
Love ya! :-)

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.