I spent a good part of my day in a shoe store being convinced that spending $140 on an ugly pair of shoes was in fact a great idea. As some of you know, I am now an orthotic wearing 32 year old. Today, as I walked by a shoe store, I spotted some Danskos. I had previously be informed that those are some good shoes. I thought I'd check it out. The shoe salesman was extremely knowledgable and actually has the same foot problem that I have.
Option A: Huge Dansko clogs. UGLY!!! I kept saying that I didn't like the way they look and he kept making me try them on. He said that they are the standard for people with bad feet.
Option B: REALLY Ugly Israeli shoes for $176. Hello??? They are pointed like elf shoes, but when I tell you they feel like slippers, I'm not kidding
Option C: Yet another pair of really exciting tennis shoes to wear with oh so many inappropriate outfits. Wait, my outfits aren't inappropriate, but wearing sneakers with everything is highly inappropriate. If anyone sees me at a wedding with a dress and sneakers, hide me away for an intervention.
Option D: Sandals that I can apparently wear without orthotics. I am now, not allowed to walk barefoot in my own home. Unless of course I want to be in pain all day. SUCKS!!! So, I am going back to the store tomorrow to buy a pair of sandals for $140!!! I mentioned this to John and he was slightly confused since winter is on the way. Don't worry my dear bread-winner, there will be more shoes to come.
4 comments:
Sounds like you and I have the same foot problem. Three things.
First, eventually you will be able to go barefoot again and wear shoes without orthodics in them in moderation. I am sure that is not what the doctor told you, but it is what me and everyone I know has experienced... just be really good at first so that your feet can heal and then remember that the key is moderation.
Second, I have found that Keen shoes are great. They carry them at REI and at various other nice shoe stores. They generally are either under $100 or $100. They have a small variety, but are more cleaned up than sneakers. They saved me.
Third, I have some Chacos flip flops, and I can wear them around my house without problems. They are like 50 or 60 dollars, but they have arch support. When things are bad I only wear them when I am wandering the house early in the morning or late at night and can't deal with shoes, but when my feet are doing good I can wear them one or two days a week without problems.
Hope that helps.
Oooh, velco! Sexy.
And I noticed they had boots too. For the winter!
I thought there were some pretty cute Israeli ones, actually.
You could always tell John that it is the $170 shoes or he can carry you around from room to room all day.
I am dying right now... you are hilarious! You're hot... you can pull off tennis shoes with anything you would like! :) I can't wait to see these sandals too...
Lori,
I might just wear tennies tomorrow to church and let everyone know that you suggested them.
Post a Comment