I have always had a mysterious attraction to cookie cutters. Everywhere I went, I found a gift shop with random shaped cookie cutters. I had to buy them because for some odd reason I believed that I would use them. Well, I got rid of my collection a few years back when I realized that I was moving them from apartment to apartment and had never touched their little metal blades to any form of dough.
So, I should have been prepared with the temptation that struck me in JoAnn's not too long ago. I saw a bag of Halloween shaped cookie cutters and the rest is history. They came home with me and sat on my countertop for weeks as I prepared myself for tomorrow. This time I was determined to use them.
So, Friday night with John gone to Michigan for computer stuff, I set to work. I used my no-fail cookbook and whipped up a batch of cookie dough. Reading through ALL the directions has never been one of my strengths, so you can imagine I was a little annoyed when the directions said 'roll dough into balls and squash with a cup to flatten.' Hmmm..I had picked the wrong recipe. Apparently the one for cookie cutters is different and has to be stronger to withstand the rolling and cutting. So, I made my little ball sugar cookies and munched away.
Well, tomorrow is Halloween as you all know and as I teach little Munchkins I felt the need to do something festive. I usually don't get this urge, but since all the other teachers pulled it together and assigned a Room Mother to plan and carry out classroom parties, and I neglected all of the above, I needed to do something to show that I am worth my weight in flour at least. So, I found the correct recipe and started this evening.
Again, not having read the directions all the way through, I was not so happy to read the 'roll dough into balls and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.' So, either next time I am going to read all the directions before cooking or I am never going to cook again. I have not really decided how to go on this one yet.
Well, after waiting the appropriate time for the dough to chill, I began the process of rolling and cutting. At this point, and no sooner, I realize that I do not own a rolling pin. Nice. For some very obvious reason I did not register for one when I got married. I was wishing tonight that I had.
So I pulled out the largest plastic cup that I could find. I'm just going to say it. Making sugar cookies sucks!!! What is the point? They don't even have chocolate in them. What the heck! I wasn't thinking. I just thought about how fun it would be for the little kids to decorate these cookies tomorrow after we cut up our pumpkin and count seeds, etc.
After rolling out my first piece of dough and moving the cookies to the cookie tray, I couldn't even figure out the shape of the cookie anymore.
I have officially finished making my first and last ever batch of sugar cookies. I really don't love anyone enough to ever do this again, so don't ask.
Next time a Holiday approaches, remind me to get a Room Mother. There has to be at least 1 out of 17 moms that likes making sugar cookies. Ya think?
So, my cookie cutters are looking for a new home and I think the urge to buy cookie cutters is gone forever.
11 comments:
That was about the saddest story I've ever heard! I made sugar cookies - once. Actually they were gingerbread cookies for my Christmas tree last year. Becuase of the humidity here they got softer instead of harder and the ribon holding them to the tree branches tore through the cookie hole in just days. Every day I was throwing my little gingerbread friends into the trash, and the whole thing really turned quite traumatic. I too am done with cookie shapes. I just get too attached.
Oh, I wish I was there with you Amanda! I LOVE making sugar cookies and using cookie cutters.
And I have a very delicious (and simple) cream cheese frosting recipe that really makes it all worth it.
I agree - sugar cookies aren't worth the trouble. They NEVER looks as good as the ones Martha makes. Wendy...remember the year we decided we wanted to make really fancy ones like Martha? Wendy came over to my apartment in Fontana and we set out to baking. The baking went o.k. until we got to the frosting part. Let's just say they weren't as fancy as we wanted them to be. I'll take chocolate chip any day of the week! Make that EVERY day of the week!
I'm with Liz, I love making sugar cookies (and eating them). I think you should give them another shot. I have a great recipe from my sister-in-law who used to work in a bakery, but you will need a rolling pin! :)
Cancel sugar cookies! I don't like making them and I don't like eating them. Too much hassle. And for me, really, the best part of making cookies is eating the dough, and I don't even really like the dough of sugar cookies. Although, I will take a sugar cookie over a snikerdoodle any day. Whoever invented those really needs help.
Amen to Katie's snickerdoodle assessment. Those are a travesty against cookie baking. I don't like sugar cookies either - not to gross anyone out, but they actually make me throw up. I like cookie cutters though. Here's a tip - you can use them to cut fun shapes in the top of pie crust before you bake it. A Halloween Apple Pie! Why not?
Katie,
Is this your first comment on my blog? Hooray, even though you hate snickerdoodles. Save them all for me.
My kids seemed to enjoy the cookies, but they had no idea how much effort I put in on their behalf. They were just too excited to dress up like Power Rangers. I swear if I hear about Power Rangers anymore I am going to puke.
I took the cookie cutters to work today and the kids used them with playdough. I think they will stay there.
Andrea, if you want to post the recipe, I might consider someday giving it another chance, but I highly doubt it, but someone else might benefit.
You already know I'm against making cookies because they take too much time. Especially sugar cookies. They're totally not worth it. But I love those sugar cookies they sell at the grocery store, the thick ones with the pink or yellow frosting and sprinkles.
And as a fellow person-who-doesn't-read-all-the-way-through-the-recipe, I completely relate.
Oh my gosh, Rachel - I LOVE those ones in the store with the pink frosting. Those are SO good! My introduction to those were some packaged ones they had in a vending machine at the MTC. That was more than 13 years ago, but I still remember how I fell in love with those cookies. I think I might need to go buy some before I start my next diet!
Amanda,
Sad to inform you but I have totally posted a comment before. I'm just never really witty, that's why you don't remember!
Amanda,
this is hillarious. I think once I tried to cook 12 dozen cookies for charlotte in 1/2 an hour. They turned out to be dime size snickerdoodles and they had BBQ sauce instead of vanilla. after that, I just said that I would buy them at the store and pass them off as home made.
Post a Comment