Sadly, my kids are not as funny as in previous years. Perhaps because they are native English speakers, they don't make so many of the comments that leave me howling. Today I did luckily have a moment that at least made me chuckle.
We were playing abc BINGO. One little table of kids seemed to not be having much luck. Either I gave them BINGO cards with numbers on them, or they just weren't that skilled at recognizing letters yet. So, after almost every letter that I called out, they would sigh and get a little frustrated that they didn't have it. After a few of those, my little Drama King started saying 'Barnacle' after every letter. So soon the whole table was excitedly calling out 'Barnacle.' I let them keep at it because it made me smile.
It was one of the few reasons I had to smile today. Too bad this next part happened today also or I would have two blog worthy items.
NEWSFLASH...I am not certified to teach kindergarten in Wisconsin!!! Aren't you all shocked? Yeah, me too!
So, here's the story. Yesterday, my principal met me in the hall and asked when I had prep time to chat with her. I went to her office during prep time but she wasn't there. So, I ran into her in the hall after telling a co-worker that she wanted to talk to me and thinking that my friend said 'I'm sure you'll be fired' as opposed to what she really said 'I'm sure you'll be fine.' So, I related this to my principal chuckling and she unfortunately wasn't chuckling back! YIKES! So, then she asked me 'Are you licensed to teach kindergarten?' Um...is this a trick question?
Come to find out, the state Department of Education has me listed on the computer as only having a license to teach 1-8. Well, as you can imagine I got a little confused and scared out of my mind. Well, I remembered that my license listed PK-8 and also a certification for 1-8, so I felt confident in applying for this position. AND I need to add that my school district hired me, so they must have been convinced.
So, as the state agency informed me that the first 'certification' of PK-8 was a joke and that it is just the general category that my license falls under and the second 'certification' of 1-8 is the specific category. Hmmm... well, there is no reason looking at the license that anyone would understand that. I didn't get it, my principal didn't get it, the district people didn't get it, but now they are trying to screw me over!! Nice.
So, this only came to their attention with me because they are apparently changing the name of the first 'certification' to just state Elementary. So, the licenses will read something like: You are licensed to teach Elementary grades 1-8. Won't that be so much nicer. I was talking to the semi-grumpy lady at the state and I asked her if this 'general' label had created many similar problems and this is why they were changing the name? She hesitatingly agreed.
So, I know you guys are dying to know what I am going to do now? Well, they are going to issue me an emergency license, and if they think I am paying the $100 fee that goes with that, they are insane. I am going to finish out this year with my kiddos and then either a)teach another grade at this school b)teach another grade at another school or c) become a full time domestic goddess! Okay, domestic goddess is never going to be possible, but maybe domestic priestess. I think you only have to do 1/2 as much housework for that title.
5 comments:
That is just plain crazyville! Clearly, someone is insane here and I'm pretty sure it's not you. They should be paying YOU $100 for having to put up with all of this.
Seriously!!! I cant believe they are upset with you, when they hired you! How hard would it be for you to get the preK certification? ...and would you want to?
freaking Bureaucrats. Stick them in the classroom for a week and then make them change the verbage on you credentials. What an unnecessary stressor. I think you should get $200 dollars and a lunch out on them.
What in the world? Don't they know how lucky they are to have you? What's wrong with them? That's it! What's their address? I'm writing a letter of protest...
Crazyville is right! And, yep they want me to pay the $100 application fee. Should I send funny money? I could make my own Amanda currency. I think I'll do that. Any ideas for the building on the back? I'm thinking of Bert & Rocky's. Could someone get me a photo so I can start on the counterfeit project?
Post a Comment