
I remember the day I was chatting with Rachel about the temptation that was Little Miss Sunshine. Rated R, but with such a killer cast. Steve Carrell is all I should have to say. Toni Collette too! Yeah, so I think we were both back and forthing by saying 'Well, if there was going to be a movie for which I would be willing to break the history of not watching R rated movies, this would be it, hoping that the other person would just buy the movie tickets already.
I don't know if any of you are familiar with a new beautiful invention called ClearPlay . It is a magical DVD player that edits a movie as you watch it! You download the filter from the internet and it edits as it plays the DVD. You would think it would be horrible, like most tv edited movies when they replace swear words with 'farglesnout' or something equally ridiculous that kind of messes with the enjoyability of the movie. It also edits out violence, etc. So, we purchased this lovely machine for about $50 and have happily been watching MANY of those 'I'd really love to see those, if only...' movies.
So, last night the missionaries came over and after they left, I was content with the idea of heading upstairs and recuperating from one REALLY long day. But, I decided to go downstairs and watch a movie. I picked The Pianist because I hadn't seen it (obviously) although I couldn't remember what it was about. I vaguely remembered that I had wanted to see it. So, I popped it in and settled in for a story about the Holocaust.
Rachel, remember a few years back when somehow I ended up reading three books in a row on that topic? I put a serious moratorium on anything similar and have stuck to it pretty well these last few years. Until, last night!
If you thought Million Dollar Baby was bad, don't watch this. I honestly don't know if I have ever cried so much in my life. Hard to imagine, I know! John can attest. It was bad! It really is like any other Holocaust movie that just makes me so sad that those feelings of fear and hatred could truly exist in the human soul!!!! So, after the movie was over, I openly sobbed for about an hour. I didn't go to bed until about 1:30 due to the despair. The moratorium is back on. So, I am going to proceed with a little more caution as I watch movies that are now available to me. I have got to get some sleep!
I don't know if any of you are familiar with a new beautiful invention called ClearPlay . It is a magical DVD player that edits a movie as you watch it! You download the filter from the internet and it edits as it plays the DVD. You would think it would be horrible, like most tv edited movies when they replace swear words with 'farglesnout' or something equally ridiculous that kind of messes with the enjoyability of the movie. It also edits out violence, etc. So, we purchased this lovely machine for about $50 and have happily been watching MANY of those 'I'd really love to see those, if only...' movies.
So, last night the missionaries came over and after they left, I was content with the idea of heading upstairs and recuperating from one REALLY long day. But, I decided to go downstairs and watch a movie. I picked The Pianist because I hadn't seen it (obviously) although I couldn't remember what it was about. I vaguely remembered that I had wanted to see it. So, I popped it in and settled in for a story about the Holocaust.
Rachel, remember a few years back when somehow I ended up reading three books in a row on that topic? I put a serious moratorium on anything similar and have stuck to it pretty well these last few years. Until, last night!
If you thought Million Dollar Baby was bad, don't watch this. I honestly don't know if I have ever cried so much in my life. Hard to imagine, I know! John can attest. It was bad! It really is like any other Holocaust movie that just makes me so sad that those feelings of fear and hatred could truly exist in the human soul!!!! So, after the movie was over, I openly sobbed for about an hour. I didn't go to bed until about 1:30 due to the despair. The moratorium is back on. So, I am going to proceed with a little more caution as I watch movies that are now available to me. I have got to get some sleep!
5 comments:
You really have got to read the descriptions on the back of books/movies. They're generally pretty good about saying whether or not something is set during the Holocaust. Did John watch it with you. Do I need to tell him about turning off sad things to spare your emotions?
Well, it was not a video that we had the case for. wink wink. So, I didn't want to walk up to stories to check imdb. Laziness rarely pays off.
John did watch it with me, but I don't know how much help he'll be in getting me to avoid things like that and I certainly don't have the power to turn it off myself. Like you and St.Jude's. We really do need each other Rachel. Ever wanted to live in the Frozen Tundra? Just curious.
You know - someone just simply told me about that movie and I was a mess. We were at the Johnny Rocket's on Melrose in LA and Adrien Brody was there putting a dent in some chili cheese fries and so for the rest of the lunch was my friend did nothing but chirp about the movie. I was ready to go home by the time he was done. I felt like I did when I finished the Holocaust museum at The Smithsonian. How gorgeously marvelous that there is a super editing machine out there though. And - Little Miss Sunshine is adorable. If you haven't seen it yet - do.
Yes - gut twisting, for sure. Having a jewish family, my mom never let me hear to much about that time in history. Not because she didn't want me educated, but because she simply could only think of lost family. So tragic.
But, Little Miss Sunshine = huge temptation!
Post a Comment