I was driving around town the other day and spotted a very helpful license plate. It said NO DUI. I was happy about the message because I thought that perhaps the person was trying to encourage others not to drink and drive. However as I pulled up next to the driver and turned to give a nod of encouragement, I saw that it was a REALLY old man. I realized at that point that perhaps the license was not a helpful hint, but rather his way of saying 'I'm not drunk, I'm just old.' Either way, it made me smile.
For the record I'm totally against drunk driving and I have mixed feelings about old drivers. I mean hooray that they are still independent, but sucks being stuck behind them, right?
2 comments:
I am also against drunk driving, my my feelings are far from lukewarm about elderly drivers. They make me nervous. I understand that they are having a hard time giving up their freedom, but really, they are a hazard! No offense to anyone. But, I worry about my kids because an elderly driver's reaction time is slower. We like to ride our bikes around town, walk to the library, etc, and there aren't always side walks. We have had some close calls with drivers who should have given up on driving!
I just have two words about how I feel driving about old people driving: Grandpa Knecht.
Post a Comment