Today was our 'Around the World Holiday Celebration' for kindergarten. Having come from a school with no real parties to speak of and no real expectation, I am feel a little overwhelmed with the holidayness at school.
I don't know how much you guys know or what I've shared but there are 5 kindergarten classes and 4 are in a wing together and I am in exile. It is probably a wise choice on their part. :) So, they have been working together for 3 years now and I am kind of out of the loop #1 because I haven't taught with them and #2 I am far away and don't see them regularly to get the lasted update on plans.
Some things are done the same and most things are not. I kind of just guess what these things are. So, Holidays Around the World. I'm in! I'm in charge of Hanakkah. Good. Making Latkes-don't how to say it. Lat-kas or Lat-keys ??? I should take a poll, but all day people kept saying both and switching back and forth. Just another good reason to have a Jewish friend! I'm going to temple to find out!
So, I was chatting with my co-workers at lunch yesterday and they casually mention in passing something about their Christmas party on Friday! Huh?? I thought the 3 hour festivities on Thursday (today) counted as our party? So, I just found out that in order to keep up with the Kinders I have to have a little party!! No one wants to be the only teacher not celebrating and giving out candy or treats. You know the parents get the kiddies off the bus and compare treat bags and seeing that their child has none will suddenly feel that they have been assigned the wrong teacher. I hope this isn't the case, but no one wants to be the lame teacher. So, another day of craziness tomorrow. It was actually a very fun day, but one that I am grateful is over.
As of 3:30 tomorrow I am announcing to the world, or just the handful that read this rather, that I will be in my adult size feetsy jammies until I am good and ready to get out of them. That may or may not be on Saturday morning.
To the teachers reading this blog: 1 more day! If you are already on vacation: You suck! Just kidding I love you all!
4 comments:
I have a Jewish friend on my team at work, and she pronounces them lat-kas. Not that she's an authority or anything, but she did go to an Orthodox wedding last week with the guys with the beards and the curly tendrils and everything!
I always pronounce them lot-kas. And, as you know, I'm an expert.
Six more hours to go until FREEDOM!!!!!!!!
Oh, what I wouldn't give to go to an Orthodox Jewish wedding...sigh...maybe one day!
And, I've always pronounced them lot-kas.
Okay, well there it is. Lot-kas! I'll spread the word here in the frozen north.
Laura, you are now officially the luckiest friend I have. Next time I get a new job, I'm going to ask if there are any Jewish people on staff so I can really work that angle.
Post a Comment