Friday, November 30, 2007

The Glorious Frozen Tundra

Okay, I am about to tell you why living in the Frozen North is wonderful. I got you hooked with the title didn't I? You are remembering that last winter I was not so joyful, but you are about to get jealous. Well, unless you are one of those people that is so righteous that you never get bored at church.
So, we have been hearing for a couple days that we are going to get snow this weekend. It was originally going to be 10 inches, but then they backed the estimate down to 3-6 inches. So, that doesn't seem too bad, right? Most of us if not all have lived in Utah and we know about snow. So do people in my neck of the woods. However, we are not in Utah, so when on a stormy weekend you happen to have Stake Conference scheduled, they actually CANCEL it!!!! Now, I don't think any of you are going to be judgemental and I know for sure that some will be jealous. Not that I don't like Stake Conference, because usually it is great and I leave feeling like it was a nice change of pace. The things that I find quite unfortunate about Stake Conference include the non-padded chairs and the need to get up extra early to drive and reserve one of those padded chairs, only to find out that you were 20 minutes late and now the chapel is full of sweaters of people that are back at home eating pancakes. So, I was a little excited when I found out that we have a free weekend of cozy home worship! It will include pancakes, sitting around the Christmas tree and of course some scriptures.
Now, just so you don't think that Wisconsin Saints are 2nd rate snow folks, we actually have people that have to drive 2 1/2 hrs to Stake Conference. Apparantly the decision was made with them in mind. I remember last year when church was cancelled because it was so cold! :) It was really cold. It was at least -12 with a wicked wind chill. Everyone was wearing pants and looking kind of homeless anyway so they decided to let people stay home. Have I ever told the story about our first stop at a Wisconsin McDonald's? I really thought we must have been in the ghetto because everyone was wearing one of those quilted floor length coats with a scarf wrapped up around their heads and random gloves and ugly boots. Nothing matches when you are freezing to death. I am sure normally those people were classy looking folks, but there is a general understanding when it is anything below zero. No one goes for cute. I don't think I saw anyone looking cute here until at least April. Today I really thought about investing in some long johns even though I have issues with them. Anyone else feel like they were only designed for extremely high waisted individuals with short legs?
Just a little shout out to my CA gals. Appreciate warm toes. That is my one piece of advice. Find happiness in warmth.

3 comments:

Bronwyn James said...

Wow, that sounds cold. We got our first snow fall here, but nothing was cancelled. I'm just waiting for that day. I would like work to be cancelled so I can stay home and watch Ellen. Then I would make myself some hot chocolate and snuggle up with a good book and eventually fall into a deep and warm sleep while the snow storm rages outside my window. I would wake up around 3:00 and make lasagna for dinner, and then my lover and I would cuddle up and watch a movie together, either with popcorn or hot chocolate again. I want that kind of snow storm.

Laura said...

There were a couple of days in Dallas last year that the office didn't open because of ice. I know people in the Tundra would laugh that the city closed down on days like that, but a city like Dallas certainly isn't accustomed to anything like that. And hey, if I can get a free day off, I'm totally fine with that - so I understand and fully support your excitement about stake conference being cancelled!

Liz the Poet said...

Stake conference was cancelled!

Ah, lucky!